Lyle Gravatt is an experienced patent attorney proficient in writing patent applications and pursuing patents in a wide range of technologies. Mr. Gravatt began his career as an entrepreneur himself, then developed an in-depth knowledge of patent assets as a professional patent analyst, developing new software tools for advanced searching of patents and publications. Lyle now focuses primarily on the client-service side of patent work. Mr. Gravatt is involved in the local startup community, advising and assisting companies with their IP portfolios, both domestically and internationally. While in law school at the University of Mississippi School of Law, Lyle partnered with attorneys through the American Bar Association to co-author a chapter on Color Additives in the ABA publication “FDA Regulation of Nanotechnology”. Mr. Gravatt earned a B.S. in Physics from Wake Forest University where he performed biophysics research on the effects of hydroxyurea with sickle cell hemoglobin using electroparamagnetic resonance imaging techniques.
With his diverse background, Lyle has experience drafting and protecting mechanical, biomedical, software and Ag Tech patents. He strives to apply his business acumen to each client’s needs to develop a strong patent portfolio, brand protection through trademarks, and assist with any asset transfer or licensing arrangements in an effort to monetize IP assets.
- Co-chair, Patent Law Committee, Intellectual Property Section of the North Carolina Bar Association
- Ambassador, Council for Entrepreneurial Development
- Volunteer Team Lead – Funding Committee, Innovate Raleigh
- Volunteer, First Flight Venture Center
- Volunteer, North Carolina Lawyers for Entrepreneurs Assistance Program (NC LEAP)
- Are you endangering your IP assets during a Transfer of Rights? June 22, 2017, North Carolina Biotechnology Center.
- Who Can’t Count to 500: A Look At the Much More Complicated Calculation for Entity Determination April 28, 2017, 2017 Intellectual Property Law Section Joint Annual Meeting, Wilmington, NC.
- Market Landscaping and Patentability Searching December 8, 2016 North Carolina Biotechnology Center.